Warren G. Harding
(March 1921 – August 1923)
First Off: A Prize to Anyone who knows what the G stands for without looking it up!!!
- Wobbly Warren
- Prsident Hardly
- Ran on the Slogan: A Return to Normalcy (A word Harding made up for his campaign – which obvs. peeved HL Mencken (see quote below)).
- His mother called him ‘Winnie’ (Gotta Admit: Not too butch)
- Generally and consistently ranked by scholars as one of the worst presidents of all time.
- Harding played poker at least twice a week, once gambling away a set of presidential china dating back to Benjamin Harrison. His cabinet was often referred to as the Poker Cabinet because they all played poker together.
- Many incorrectly claim that Harding coined the term ‘bloviating’ but it was recorded in print prior to Harding’s birth.
- Both of Harding’s parents were doctors.
- First President to have a golf course named after him.
- First newspaper publisher to be elected president.
- First President to travel to Canada (He stopped over on the way to Alaska. Also; He was the first president to visit Alaska).
- Warren G has the distinction of having the largest feet of any president with a size 14.
- And PS – the G stands for Gamaliel.
And finally, we leave you with a quote from H. L. Mencken:
He writes the worst English that I have ever encountered. It reminds me of a string of wet sponges; it reminds me of tattered washing on the line; it reminds me of stale bean soup, of college yells, of dogs barking idiotically through endless nights. It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it. It drags itself out of the dark abysm of pish, and crawls insanely up the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and doodle. It is balder and dash